All of Us!

All of Us!
Finally! All together with enough time to spare (??) to capture a picture of all six of us in the same spot, same time. Now this is a precious photo! I tried to get one last year for our Christmas card and didn't succeed. So when I had the chance I threw out the lasso and rounded everyone up (at my niece's graduation party) to grab a couple snapshots. My oldest son, Casey, and his girlfriend Nika are on the left; and my youngest son, Brady, and his girlfriend Jenne on the right; that leaves Bob and I in the center. (Bob is the one who doesn't look very happy about having his picture taken!!)

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snowy, Blowy Day

Life in Wisconsin in the Winter is either snowy or cold. We never get both at the same time. We like variety. On Tuesday, we got the snow.
 
Initially, they were predicting 4-8 inches. We got 8 inches by 8:00. Most of all the schools around the area were closed. I couldn’t get up the hill by our driveway, so for me that meant a snow day. I love snow days because you can feel like a little kid again. Sure, I have to shovel, but that just is part of the territory. I was up and wondering about the weather by 4:30. Our dog followed so I let him out to see if he could navigate through the mass of snow on the sidewalk or if he was going to be buried alive. He isn’t stupid. He went out the door, peed on one of my flower pots on the front stoop and turned around and came back in. One doesn’t venture very far when you only weigh about 8 lbs. and are less than a foot off the ground. In addition, Pongo is a Miniature Fox Terrier, which means he seems to shiver all the time and if you mix in the cold and snow it just adds to his shivering antics.
 
It was so white outside that I figured I better go out and shovel so I could gauge how much we got. I always say, if it is during the week and it is going to snow, either snow just a little or a lot – nothing in between. The "lot" or "little" is a better determining factor for me if I am going to be able to make it to work or not. Of course, if the winds are blowing pretty stiffly that is another consideration because most of the country roads I drive during my 35-mile trek to work drift very easily. I went out through the garage and grabbed the shovel and started plowing through. Okay, more here than really meets the eye. Some of the cats came bounding out because if I am out there, they think it is time to get fed. Well, I had thrown their cat dishes in the garage the night before so as not to be buried under all the snow. I grabbed them and scooped out a bucket of cat food and divided it out amongst the dishes. My little kitten, Simba, came scampering out, too, but stopped short when he ran out of the shed and saw he had to be very cunning about getting from the shed to the house this morning. He hopped, bounded, skipped and pounced his way to the house, a little more snowy than he started but a good shake got rid of that. Next, I let out a few yells of "kitty, kitty, kitty" and I looked up toward the barn and saw some of the older cats starting to find their way down from the hay mow. Cats are like mail carriers – no sleet, snow, rain, ice will keep them from getting to food. Although I have seen some very funny stuff go on when they are trying to get to the house on ice.
 
With the shoveling done, I was able to take in the beauty of the winter wonderland. It is always such a sight after a fresh coat of snow. But gazing at the snow wasn’t a smart thing to do when you have just finished shoveling and you are standing outside in just your robe and tennis shoes for extra cover. Brrrr, there may be snow but it was still cold out. Yep, it is going to be a snow day.

Back inside, Bob is saying he better get out to the barn because it is going to be a day of extra plowing. I’m making myself some breakfast and trying to think what I want to make for lunch today. I’m always like that. When I first get up and it is a day I’m going to be home, I think what I want to make today. Sorry, cook by nature. Aaahhh, yes, it is a lasagna kind of day. I had been threatening the last few weeks about making lasagna. Bob is not much of a tomato-based dish kind of a guy. Although he loves his pizza, he’s not much for tomato sauces, so I usually stray away from them. But there are times when I get such a craving for them, and this was such a day.
 
I whipped up some breakfast, did my treadmill, tossed a load of towels in the washer and then zipped around the kitchen checking the pantry and fridge for the staples I wanted to throw into my lunch creation. Lasagna noodles, check; tomato sauce, check; tomato paste, check; crushed tomatoes, check; crushed garlic, check; ricotta cheese, check; mozzarella cheese, check; cheddar cheese, check; eggs, check. Except for double-checking the seasonings, we were good to go. Started water boiling for the noodles and then threw in nine noodles; semi-thawed 1-1/2 lbs. hamburger, crumbled it up in the fry pan, seasoned it with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, and fried it up. Next, the sauce. I opened up a can each of crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and tomato sauce and dumped them into the blender; followed that up with a couple tablespoons of sugar, some Italian Seasonings, garlic powder, crushed garlic, onion powder, oregano, parsley flakes, and hit pulse and blend a few times. Once blended, into another pot with the browned hamburger and I let it simmer for an hour. Now the filling. I grabbed an egg and beat it, dumped in a container of ricotta cheese and 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese; mixed it up good and put it into the fridge for a rest. Once the noodles were done, I drained and rinsed them and then hung the noodles over the side of the strainer to wait for the layering process to begin. While the sauce simmered, I constantly taste tested. After adding a 1/4 cup of sugar, some paprika, some more garlic powder, it got the go ahead sign from my taste buds. I next began to layer; a little sauce on the bottom then noodles, filling, sauce, and mozzarella/grated Parmesan/cheddar cheeses; the same process again and into the oven we go at 350 for 45 minutes. Next, dessert. How about Devil’s Food Cake. Always need a little chocolate to cut the tomato taste, so I threw that together quick. That is an old family recipe from my grandmother and I know it by heart. And, into two layer pans and off to the oven with that. I next sliced and buttered upped some French bread and sprinkled on some garlic powder and they were ready to toast up when the lasagna was just about to come out. Finally, I pulled out some pears in sauce and put them into a bowl. Oh, yea, I’m liking the smells already. Time to hurry up to sit down and eat.
 
Bob even made the comment that he liked it very well. He felt the sauce was a little sweeter thus not having such a tomato aftertaste. See, I can make him come around one way or the other – all I need to do is sneak a secret ingredient in and he is all mine!! Satisfied with a meal I thought I better go out and catch up on some shoveling. I shoveled and then let Pongo out so he could get to the sidewalk while it was still clean.
 
Okay, it’s a snowy day and what should you do on a snowy day. Cuddle up in a chair with either a book or a movie. I had three new Netflix DVDs that I hadn’t seen yet so I asked Bob if he wanted to watch one with me. He had already seen The Proposal and Inglorious Basterds, so I queried if he wanted to see Up. I knew the answer before it came out of his mouth, but still had to ask. But he did want to see The Proposal again. Great, I’m in the mood for that one as well. Wow, that was so good. He had to go out to the barn, but I still wanted movies, so I slipped Inglorious Basterds in for a complete afternoon of DVD overload. I didn’t realize beforehand that it was 2-1/2 hours long, but worth it. As I love animated films, I’m saving Up for a little speck of time for myself this weekend.
 
Once Bob came in from the barn, I fixed some tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. We ate while we watched The Good Wife. We both really like that show.
 
I noticed when he went out to the barn, it had started snowing again and when I let Pongo out for the last time tonight, it is still snowing. Lightly, but snowing. Hope the roads are better in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment