All of Us!

All of Us!
Finally! All together with enough time to spare (??) to capture a picture of all six of us in the same spot, same time. Now this is a precious photo! I tried to get one last year for our Christmas card and didn't succeed. So when I had the chance I threw out the lasso and rounded everyone up (at my niece's graduation party) to grab a couple snapshots. My oldest son, Casey, and his girlfriend Nika are on the left; and my youngest son, Brady, and his girlfriend Jenne on the right; that leaves Bob and I in the center. (Bob is the one who doesn't look very happy about having his picture taken!!)

Thursday, February 18, 2010

It's a Love Weekend

Valentine’s Day is one of those days celebrated by many and celebrated in many different ways. Whether it be little children trading cards at school, lovers anticipating their first or many Valentine’s Day together, parents and children gifting each other, or couples together for years celebrating in various, unusual, romantic or monotonous ways. Bob and I always go out to eat; he always gives me flowers (roses) and he always gets candy and something else special, but practical. The boys usually always get candy and a stuffed animal of some sort. This year I took the boys gifts "out of the box" and gave them something different and more useful. And, yes, they still got candy. I can’t say now what they got because Casey still hasn’t come home to get his and I would hate to spoil the secret. He has been in New York all week for the National Toy Fair and promised he would be home to the farm this weekend to visit, but his plans can always change fast. So, I won’t spoil the surprise.

This year Bob gave me a different version of the dozen red roses; instead, I got a dozen multicolored roses. I was surprised and elated. Don’t get me wrong, but I’ll take a dozen red roses any day. But I like life, I like a little variety. They were gorgeous. He ordered them from a local floral/garden shop that I adore - Blumenladen. They were delivered out to the farm (which he paid extra for because he thought it would be more of a surprise). There were two of each; red, white, pink, yellow, salmon and peach. And they came just the way I like them – unopened. If you get flowers that are already opened – especially roses – they won’t last that long. This way you get to go through a little "life span" with them. My passion for roses is that I like to watch the whole bloom to deadhead process. From the time the buds open to a full bloom to the slow dying process, it is a road I love to travel. That’s why I have quite a few rose bushes in my yard. But, don’t think I’m stupid; even though I have some in my yard still doesn’t mean I’ll turn them away if they are hand-delivered once in awhile.
 
Our usual stomping ground for Valentine’s Day is Red Lobster. We both love shrimp and through the years have chosen this as our love snack shack!! Hahaha!! This year since Valentine’s fell on a Sunday, we figured we would not take the chance of going to eat on Sunday but would do it Saturday instead. So off to Red Lobster we went. The only one around is on the eastside of Madison and for us that takes some planning. By the time Bob gets in from chores, etc., and gets showered and ready to go, we had better be on the road by noon at the latest. To the east side it takes us an hour to drive, plus you need to figure two hours for the restaurant because by the time you possibly wait to get a seat, peruse the menu, order and eat, it’s two hours easily. That takes us to 3:00 and another hour drive back which is then 4:00 and he needs to be back by 4:30 at the latest to change and head out to do chores. We arrived at Red Lobster and there is a half-hour wait. We knew it upon arrival as the parking lot was filled. So, we opted to go next door to Outback. I’ve been there before, but Bob hasn’t. We had a great meal, although Bob’s medium prime rib spoke to him when it was first delivered; he sent it back for another shot at the cooking process. We heard it moo as it entered the kitchen. I had the Victoria’s filet and some crab-stuffed shrimp. I let Bob enjoy my little cut of meat (7 oz.) while he waited for his 18 oz. slab to return. Return it did, not bloody, but still pretty pink. I wouldn’t call it medium-well, more like rare-rare-medium. I tried not to watch him eat it.

We did, however, have a delightful waitress. She was Scandinavian of some sort, I assume, because of her accent and her name was Elsa. But she knew her stuff and anyone whoever has to wait on us, finds out pretty soon that Bob is always full of questions. She caught on right away that he doesn’t like onions or anything spicy and made appropriate suggestions to him to follow those lines. If there is one thing I (we) love, it is a good waitress/waiter. It makes your dining experience a whole lot better and we are more than happy to tip them accordingly. She was attentive and not in a bugging way (you can get some that hang on your table). My meal was great but as usual I ate too much. Bob ate all his meal, too, plus a little of mine. You know, I think I actually heard Bob "beller" a little when we got in the car.
 
On Sunday, actual Valentine’s Day, I wanted a day at home. So I took out some round steak, thawed it in the microwave slightly, pounded/tenderized and seasoned it, cut it into pieces, floured them on both sides and fried them slightly in EVOO (thanks, Rachel Ray!). Next, I poured a half carton of beef stock in a casserole dish and then added some to the frying pan. I took the pieces out and lined them up in the dish and then sliced up one Vidalia onion into big slices/rings, put that into the fry pan with two handfuls of sliced mushrooms. Next, I added about a half cup of beef stock and about a cup of Cabernet wine (leftovers from when either my sisters, Brady’s girlfriend, Jenne, or my niece, Tracy, were at the farm!!). I let the onions and mushrooms cook a little and let the wine reduce down and then poured it all over the steak --who were laying in wait of a little happy juice. Off to the bottom oven with it. Next, I threw together the California Blend Vegetable casserole and it joined the meat to bask in the warmth for a few hours. In the top oven , I threw in some baked potatoes. I chose Goldens, washed and dried them off, poked a few holes in them, spread some butter on the top and the bottom, sprinkled them on both sides with a little garlic/parsley powder, wrapped them in tin foil and off to the top oven for a couple hours. Lastly, I threw together some scotch-a-roos (chocolate – it’s Valentine’s Day, right!?!). Lunch is in the oven, dessert is done and I’ve got a DVD afternoon planned. Once we finished eating, we jumped to the recliners and we did a Vince Vaughn marathon. We had just enough time before chores to watch two movies and my Netflix plan worked out perfectly so that we got to watch Four Christmases and Couples Retreat. I loved them both; Bob wasn’t as enthusiastic about "loving" them, but he said they were okay.
 
Just as we finished up my youngest son and his girlfriend, Brady and Jenne, arrived at the farm. I had texted them (and Casey, my oldest) that morning wishing them a Happy Valentine’s Day and that their V-day gifts were waiting at the farm for them. (Nothing like a little present bribery to get the kids to come visit! LOL!!). They had gone out to eat in New Glarus. Their first choice was the Glarner Stube (where my niece, Maci, works) but they were closed for vacation, so they went to the New Glarus Hotel instead. While in New Glarus they visited my fav store, Blumenladen, (yes, the men in my life are all learning!) and picked up a Cyclamen plant for me. I love this plant and am thinking that now I might need to give it some friends. I think that means I need to make a trip to see Brenda at Blumenladen’s to find some accompanying pals and a pot for them all to hang out together in. Hey, we wouldn't want the little girl to be lonely now, would we! Any girl will tell you that you put her and some pals together in a cute little hangout spot -- give 'em a drink or two --and we're happy campers!

Hmmmmm, Spring might just be appearing in my window sooner than I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment