All of Us!

All of Us!
Finally! All together with enough time to spare (??) to capture a picture of all six of us in the same spot, same time. Now this is a precious photo! I tried to get one last year for our Christmas card and didn't succeed. So when I had the chance I threw out the lasso and rounded everyone up (at my niece's graduation party) to grab a couple snapshots. My oldest son, Casey, and his girlfriend Nika are on the left; and my youngest son, Brady, and his girlfriend Jenne on the right; that leaves Bob and I in the center. (Bob is the one who doesn't look very happy about having his picture taken!!)

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Long Day, But An Old Friends Catch-Up Day

Yes, life is busy, but yet we need to stop and take time for conversations with old acquaintances and friends who we haven’t seen in awhile.

When I went to bed Thursday night, I had my Friday all planned out. But life never seems to go along with the plan. It was a new day and, apparently, a new plan. My aunt was being discharged from the hospital and my original plan was to pick her up between nine and 10, speak with the doctor, have her to the nursing home an hour later, get her settled in and then meet my mother for another aunt’s mother’s funeral at 2:00. Unfortunately, things didn’t seem completely right with my aunt in the hospital when I got there, so the doctor wanted to run another quick test and said she could be discharged in 3-4 hours. Oops, crinkle in the plan. Okay, I can adapt to these types of situations. I called my mom, made plans to attend the visitation prior to the funeral instead with her and then would return to the hospital. So, after ordering my aunt some lunch and watching her eat some of it, I hit the road running, met my mom, visited with the family, my uncle and cousin and then returned to the hospital.

Upon returning, I dropped my car off at valet parking and was walking through the lobby. Someone called my name and saw it was an old friend, Spencer. I knew that his father was in the hospital and in grave condition. The kids, who are all older than I, except for one who is a year younger, were or had flown in from all over the United States and one from England. Spencer is the only one who still lived in our hometown. Earlier that morning I had wanted to stop by the family to express my heartfelt concern for them but didn’t see anyone and certainly did not want to intrude on this time. While talking with Spencer (who was on the grandchildren watch as the sibs’ kids were also trying to get there from out of state as well), two of the other siblings came down to catch a bite to eat and we were able to chat for a brief moment. Time goes by so fast that sometimes as we age, we feel that others would age beyond recognition. All three hadn’t and I was able to recognize them immediately and felt good for having been able to touch base with three people I hadn’t talked to in a long, long time, even under such stressful conditions for all.

Now my mind needed to change gears and shifted to the process of taking my aunt from the hospital to the nursing home and so we headed out. Unfortunately, she was starting to not feel good and I wasn’t sure if the whole move back to the nursing home for rehab was beginning to cause anxiety or what. Now I am beginning to feel anxious. I got her settled in and then decided to check into a private room. They have one available and I toss the idea out to my aunt to contemplate over the weekend. Maybe this will help, maybe not, but some things are worth a try.

By this time I am tired, hungry (hadn’t eaten since breakfast) and knew that I need to do something about it. I figure my liver must have kicked in with a little "something extra" because I hadn’t fallen into a low yet. I tracked toward home and then thought it would be a good idea to stop at one of the local bar/restaurants owned by an old friend of mine to pick up one of the area’s finest Friday night fish fry. I walked in the door but didn’t get too far as was greeted with concerns over my aunt, haven’t seen you in years, etc. I ordered up the fish for the hubby and chatted with the owner, my old friend, Dawn. I commented about how her mom, having suffered a stroke a few years back, looked good and she had even questioned me about whether I had five or six sisters. I was amazed, but then again she is only 72, Dawn said. Her dad was just as funny as ever. This is a couple who for years have enjoyed card playing and still do. Many years ago, when my dad was still alive, I would join in on a few of those cards games with him downtown and certainly miss that at times.

During my wait for the fish, I ran into many I haven’t seen in a long time. A couple that were old friends in my "circle" years ago, he is now my tire guy and a good one at that. We all have new circles but we still remain friends. We were able to catch up with each other and about our families and it is refreshing to find out what each sibling is doing, and what new worlds their kids are now branching out into.

Then another old friend (probably 20 years my senior) and old card-playing buddy, who, when I inquired about his wife, told me that she was now diabetic amongst a mix of other problem. I asked how that was going and I became concerned with our conversation from that point on. She’s a type II diabetic, I’m a type I; big difference in some ways, but others are still the same. Your diet is paramount to the disease. She, apparently, drinks about 100 cans of soda a week. One can of soda is probably the equivalent of what a diabetic should have for one meal. She is on a total carb overload. Her husband told me he didn’t know much about diabetes. I told him he needed to get informed, gave him a 10-minute synopsis and said take it very seriously because she is on a trip that will only end up with crashing into a wall. I know that for some people this disease is befuddling and its murkiness make people look the other way instead of hitting it straight on. I hit it straight on, because I wanted to live another day, keep my limbs while doing so and I always need to know what makes the cogs turn. Yep, I see another mission in my life. Why is it when the plate is already full, some people (okay – me) seem to put a little bit more on the plate? Oh, well, that’s my personality and it’s too late to change it now.

All-in-all, it was a long day; a fun day which included running into many people, in the oddest and vast array of situations. It was a planned day but turned into a whole new day. Oh, and by the way, Dawn, the fish and the accompanying side dishes were excellent. I guess you might see me again, soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment