All of Us!

All of Us!
Finally! All together with enough time to spare (??) to capture a picture of all six of us in the same spot, same time. Now this is a precious photo! I tried to get one last year for our Christmas card and didn't succeed. So when I had the chance I threw out the lasso and rounded everyone up (at my niece's graduation party) to grab a couple snapshots. My oldest son, Casey, and his girlfriend Nika are on the left; and my youngest son, Brady, and his girlfriend Jenne on the right; that leaves Bob and I in the center. (Bob is the one who doesn't look very happy about having his picture taken!!)

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Big Apple: Day 3, Part 4: MoMA

Can you believe it?  Still on Day 3 -- hope you aren't getting too tired! My butt has been sitting on the Gray Line Tour Bus now for a few hours, so it is time to get our walking shoes on and what better place to start then to get our minds bent around some fantastic pieces of artwork as we head into MoMA -- the Museum of Modern Art.  

Sidewalk view as we approach MoMA
MoMA is an art museum in Midtown Manhattan on 53rd Street, between Fifth and Sixth Avenues. With over 2.5 million visitors a year, it’s collections offer an unparalleled overview of modern and contemporary art.  So much so, that sometimes my mind was blown away by some of it and at other times my mind couldn’t really comprehend it (or more specifically why someone would create such a piece of art – but each to his own).  Art is something like the saying about beauty – “it is all in the eye of the beholder” – and in this case, yes, the beholder, and yes, the creator.  Some interesting facts to note are that MoMA’s library and archives hold over 300,000 books, artist books, and periodicals, as well as individual files on more than 70,000 artists.  What I also find a little interesting, since we just got off the bus after touring Rockefeller Plaza – and we are still in the area – is its history.  So let me share a little behind the scenes on this.
       
History: In 1928, the idea for MoMA was sprung primarily by Abby Aldrich Rockefeller (wife of John D. Rockefeller Jr.) and two of her friends, Lillie P. Bliss and Mary Quinn Sullivan.  (Remember – John Jr. is the creator of Rockefeller Plaza).  Anyway, these three women (assigned various nicknames such as "the Ladies", "the daring ladies" and "the adamantine ladies") rented a small domicile in the Heckscher Building at 730 Fifth Avenue and opened its doors to the public on November 7, 1929.  (The date is significant as it was nine days after the Wall Street Crash). Beginning with an initial gift of eight prints and one drawing, its holdings quickly expanded.  Later in that month they had their first loan exhibition displaying paintings by such renown artists such as Van Gogh, Gauguin, Cézanne, and Seurat.  

MoMA was first housed in six rooms on the 12th floor of the Heckscher Building, but due to its growth, within ten years moved into three temporary locations.  Adamantly opposing the museum and to modern art itself, was Abby’s husband, John Rockefeller, Jr., and hence he refused to give money to this cause.  She had to seek funds from other sources and thus the frequent shifts in location.  John, Jr., eventually came around and ended up becoming one of MoMA’s greatest benefactors.  In fact, he eventually donated the land for its current site.  In 1939, Abby’s son, Nelson, was selected to become its president.  He was the main instigator and funder of its expansion, publicity and new acquisitions.  His brother, David, next joined the board of trustees in 1948 and took over as president when Nelson became Governor of New York in 1958.  The Rockefeller family with is historic influence has still to this day maintained a close association with the museum. 

Considered by many to have the best collection of modern Western masterpieces in the world, MoMA's holdings include more than 150,000 individual pieces in addition to approximately 22,000 films and 4 million film stills. 
Sum of Days

"Sum Of Days":  This was a somewhat weird gigantic display and we weren’t really sure what we were in for when we entered.  But it was the first thing we came to so off into “something” we went.  It is described as a complex, elliptical network of pathways through a structure of translucent white fabric.  It is supposed to heighten your awareness of your surroundings.  There are a series of microphones hung at various heights which records ambient noise; each day’s sound is combined with the previous days’ recordings and played back through several speakers inside the structure.  While each new layer of audio is added, the oldest noises gradually diminish into whispers, pat of an auditory condensation that builds up throughout the duration of the exhibition.  Musical performances take place in the structure periodically, adding another element to the audio dimension.  

Nika walking through Sum of Days
At first,I didn't really get this huge display -- well, probably because we didn't read about it until after we walked through it. When you first approach it and you see this huge billowing fabric hung from the ceiling with a series of speakers and microphones hanging down inside the maze that you walked through (you can see them hanging down in the picture below), you are a little skeptical. 

But, remember, we are in the Modern Museum of Art -- the key word here being "modern" -- so we knew from the start that our trip through this kingdom of modern and contemporary art was going to be a little different than some of the typical art hung in your living room or on the walls in your office would be.  Toto, I don't think we are in Kansas anymore!

 Art -- it is so varied. 




Inside Sum of Days

Now as we proceed, I will remind you once again, that we are in a museum that contains contemporary art.  And, as I said before art is varied, so keep an open mind.  Having repeated that, the next exhibition we went through was "Thing/Thought" which, once we entered and hurried through, I can honestly tell you that neither of us were too interested in it. It was just typed documents of people's thoughts.  Onward...

Sign directing us to Thing/Thought Exhibition











And then we come to displays that definitely catch your eye, as did this whole wall in bright candy apple red and orange.

Next, we entered another modern art exhibition hall that contained, again, written words, on display.  A little bizarre, a little interesting; we may have walked on, but there is something, sometimes, about written words that sort of grab your attention and make you think.  You will see what I mean as you read the displays.  
"Money Never Sleeps"

Hmmmmmm . . . see what I mean!  As we walked through, I couldn't help but take pictures of some of these displays.  Again, sort of like reading a profound thought of the day.  You see it, read it, then just when you think you aren't interested in it, you relay it to your own self.  The same with these phrases of art. 
"Never Send a Human . . ."
Nika taking a picture through the artwork












Now this is something which I am more attune to as modern art.  It filled the whole window.  I couldn't help but catch a picture of Nika who was taking a picture of the outside through one of the circles.  





After the frightening and devastating attacks of 9/11, there was a design contest held as to concept proposals for construction of memorials for the World Trade Center.  At right is one of the concepts.  There were many displayed, all very unique.  I don't want to say that it was exactly eerie when you walked amongst these displays, but you could sort of feel that in the room.  A definite feeling of sadness, maybe better described as more poignant.  

 The concepts behind each of these paintings that follow are probably only thoughts that each of us comprehend at the time of development.  An artist sees or imagines something that begins the creative flow for the birth of a piece of art.  For example, the painting End of World, below right, in this artist's mind, this is his/her conception of what the end of the world would be.  My son, Casey, is an artist.  His many paintings and drawings are profound in thought.  Some I can conceptualize -- others I cannot.  Again, as I said art in itself is varied. 
End of World
This piece was human size
Tabletop Fan


















What is this, you ask?  It is a tabletop fan, I respond.  The plug is huge, and I imagine that the blades (or at least one) has become twisted by some adverse event.  But the concept is there -- distorted a bit by what the artist imagined it as -- a semi-abstract piece of artwork.  

3D Sculpture
Bigger than Life-size
I Still Use Brushes
All of the displays shown above which I took pictures of, I found very interesting.  I am not one too much for abstract art.  Never cared too much for it when I took Art class (Sorry Mr. Schlumpf!) but again, each to his own.  

What I find fascinating, however, is artwork like the I Still Use Brushes, above, which was created in 1969.  Can you figure out what this is? Under the glass it is all small red paint brushes and some red paint embedded in plastic in a box.  How neat is that! It is so vibrant and appealing to the eye from faraway that you would not guess what it is until you creep up to it.  Once you know the concept, you can see it in a different light.  

Now onto the semi-abstract nudes.  Don't worry, these aren't rated X.  
Another Semi-Abstract Nude
Semi Abstract Partial Nude
Interesting Concept
Semi-Abstract Nude


Then after getting through the exhibits of the nudes which were basically all semi-abstracts, we headed into the exhibitions halls that had the abstracts, as depicted by the one to the right.  I know I said before that I'm not one that is interested in abstracts, but I do, however, appreciate abstracts of certain designs and colors that catch my eye and this one most certainly did with the grays, blacks and beiges and the 3-d effect the shadowing accomplished.  

Unfortunately, this is kind of where things came to a halt.  I received a phone call from my sister, Kristi, who was taking my mom to the emergency room. When someone starts out a conversation with you (especially when you are on vacation out of state) with a "I don't want to alarm you or freak you out, but. . ." it is never a good thing.  My mom was having problems that they hadn't quite diagnosed but it was resembling things along the line of a stroke or heart attack.  I felt helpless at this point and a little deflated.  Plus, I guess I lost interest in continuing on through MoMA.  I was promised that as soon as they heard something, Kristi would let me know and keep me updated.  

Now the story behind all this is that my mom really wanted to make this trip with me.  But I was told by a few that maybe my first trip to New York City might not be a good time for my mom to go along.  I was advised that there is a lot of walking that I would need to do, a lot of stair climbing (subways, etc.), so maybe the best thing to do would be to scope it out first and then on the next trip I would be better accustomed to what NYC offers to know what she would and would not be able to do.  Maybe, at this point I was feeling a little guilty, but yet at the same time, a little relieved that she didn't come along, because what if this would have happened while she was on the trip. With mixed emotions swirling through my head, the mood was obviously broken to wrap my head around any more serious concepts of artwork, Nika and I decided to leave.  

As soon as we are outside, we decided to make a pit stop at the hotel so I can change shoes.  Yes, I am not afraid to admit the next two things -- my feet are killing me and that is compounded by the fact that I also have to pee -- really bad -- which I didn't realize until we have left MoMA (obviously I was distracted enough by the phone call not to realize that until then).  Thinking that I seriously am not going to make it back to the hotel in time, we search out my favorite "watering" hole -- MacDonald's!  I am not talking "watering" as in getting a drink, but as in getting rid of some! haha!  There really are no public bathrooms in New York City -- especially Manhattan, where we are.  The easiest place to go in and out of quickly when searching for a bathroom we found was Mickey D's.  If I have to buy something, that is fine because I can grab a bottle of water, but relief is all I want at the moment.  Once found, we scramble in and out and then off to the hotel.  

Along the way, I catch a picture of the Ziegfeld Theater.  So, now I need to give you a little lesson on the Ziegfeld. 

Ziegfeld Theatre

Ziegfeld Theatre:  Originally built in 1927, the Ziegfeld Theatre is a Broadway theater located at the intersection of Sixth Avenue and 54th Street in Manhattan, but was razed in 1966. The second theater which was designed as a single screen movie theater, opened in 1969.

The Ziegfeld was originally built for Broadway plays, but during the Great Depression, its usage changed to operate as a movie theater.  In 1944 a showman, Billy Rose, bought it and once again changed its operation.  NBC leased it  for use as a television studio from 1955 to 1963. The Perry Como Show was broadcast from the theater beginning in 1956. And then in 1963 the Ziegfeld reopened as a legitimate Broadway theater. However, this was short-lived as in 1966 it was torn down to make way for a skyscraper, what is now known as the Alliance Bernstein building. 

The second theater was opened just a few hundred feet from the original, again as a single-screen move house.  It is one of the last large-scale movie palaces built in the United States.  Under different ownership, digital projection was installed during the 2000's and now today it is the largest single screen cinema in New York and still continues to be the site of film premieres and gala events.   


Another tidbit:  Ever heard of the Ziegfeld Follies?  If not, the Ziegfeld Follies were a series of elaborate theatrical productions on Broadway in New York City from 1907 through 1931.  They became a radio program in 1932 and 1936 as The Ziegfeld Follies of the Air.  The Ziegfeld Follies were conceived and advanced by Florenz Ziegfeld.  If you have heard of the follies and to answer the next question posed in your mind -- yes, the Ziegfeld Theatre was named for this famed Broadway enterpriser, Florenz Ziegfeld, who interestingly enough built it with financial backing from William Randolph Hearst.  Now you know a little more about the famous Ziegfeld Theatre. 

Okay, back to our journey at hand.  My shoes are now changed, so we are going to hop on the subway to head off to our next plan of action -- the American Museum of Natural History.  As it was now getting later in the day, we knew full well that we weren't going to be able to do the whole museum, but we thought we could at least get a start.  The entrance to the subway to catch train that we need is conveniently right beside our hotel.  Next, we are off to another first for me -- my first subway ride!  Looking forward to this first, too!  

I think I will stop here for the moment and let you catch a breath.  My next post will be all about the next museum on our list.  Well, it will be a start at least.  It is a big, big journey, so it is a good thing we are only getting a small start on it.  

Until that next post . . . oops, hold the horses -- you were wondering about Mother?  A phone call from Kristi relays to me that she is fine.  No major problems, which calms my racing mind and heart.  Love ya, Mother! 

No comments:

Post a Comment