All of Us!

All of Us!
Finally! All together with enough time to spare (??) to capture a picture of all six of us in the same spot, same time. Now this is a precious photo! I tried to get one last year for our Christmas card and didn't succeed. So when I had the chance I threw out the lasso and rounded everyone up (at my niece's graduation party) to grab a couple snapshots. My oldest son, Casey, and his girlfriend Nika are on the left; and my youngest son, Brady, and his girlfriend Jenne on the right; that leaves Bob and I in the center. (Bob is the one who doesn't look very happy about having his picture taken!!)

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Bacon Can Solve My Problems, At Least For One Night

When I arrived home last night after work, I was faced with the age-old question – what to make for supper? Why is it such the strained question of the day? In the past, I have tried to pre-plan meals for the evening, but those have usually been thrown out the window by (1) a husband who is picky (and may I say - spoiled) in that he may decide he is just not into “that” for that particular evening meal; and (2) the spoiler (yep, raising my hand, as that would be me) who may decide I’m really not in the mood for that either, or feeling like making it that evening.

I was getting down to the wire because Bob was going to be coming in soon and I still hadn’t figured out what my mood was. Then all of the sudden it dawned on me that I wanted to try my own version of Fettuccine Carbanaro. I usually have these thoughts or inspirations sneak up on me, and that is when I hit the kitchen running. Well, I was actually already in the kitchen, so I didn’t have to run too far.

I peeked into the frig to make sure I had bacon – check. Next, I checked the fettuccine, oops, not enough for a meal. I have a pantry full of different kinds of pasta, but since this was going to be a new recipe I was going to spring on Bob, I figured I had better play it safe and just go with egg noodles. (If he likes a recipe, I can always change up the pasta on him another time). I always have plenty of low-fat cream cheese on hand, so that was okay. Everything else, I figured I could wing it.

I got the bacon out and with my kitchen shears, started snipping the one-pound slab of bacon strips into small little bite-size pieces. Next, I threw them in a non-stick skillet on medium heat and started browning them. Then I grabbed my pasta cooker and filled it with water. I asked for and received this a couple years ago and would not ever replace it. Actually, I don’t think I will probably have to replace it in my lifetime! It is a four-piece pasta cooker from Food Network made of 18/10 stainless steel, thick layered construction. It is so versatile because I can cook pasta in the strainer basket, or steam veggies using the steamer insert. In addition, I can keep an eye on things with the tempered glass lid. (Now if that isn’t advertising – I don’t know what is! Haha!)

Once my water started boiling, I added some salt and then threw in a half bag of noodles. With the bacon now browned and crisp, I tossed them into a stainless steel strainer (on top of a bowl) and let the grease drain off. When the noodles were properly cooked, I pulled the strainer out and let them drain. In another pan I started the sauce. First I added about a cup of milk (I used low fat), 3/4 of a stick of low-fat cream cheese, and about two tablespoons of flour. I whisked this together over low heat. Once the cream cheese was incorporated, I added a good pinch of salt, a couple pinches of pepper, 1 tsp. of Cavender’s Greek Seasoning, 2 tsps. Parmesan Herb seasoning (McCormick Perfect Pinch), 1 tsp. garlic powder and then let this meld together. I turned the heat down to a simmer as it was starting to thicken up. Then I added the bacon (holding back about a small handful) and mixed it well. Here is where the recipe either makes or breaks, so I took a little spoon and did a taste test on the sauce. It needed just a pinch more of salt to bring out the true flavors, but otherwise, I was magnificently surprised and happy.

Next, I dumped the drained noodles into the sauce to let it coat. Once coated, I poured the noodle mixture into a flatter serving bowl, sprinkled it with paprika, dotted the mixture with the remaining bacon and then topped it first with a sprinkling of shredded Parmesan cheese and additionally a dappling of shredded Romano cheese.

I served this all up with a side of cooked green beans, dappled with butter and pepper and a light sprinkling of Parmesan Herb seasoning, and some warm rolls. I have to say the presentation of the noodles was pretty and I wish I had taken a picture to show you. (Going to have to remember to do that next time).

By this time, Bob had come in when I was dishing things up. Of course, (if you will recall from other posts) he gave me the look and the “what the heck is this” declaration. I followed that up with my usual “sit down, shut up and try it first” response. So he sat down, put a little on his plate, tasted and then scooped up a bigger portion.

I always figure if anything new I try meets with his picky, spoiled little taste buds, then it is a job well done. Tonight, another miracle! Another job well done.

The portions that I gave above (and below) would probably serve four to five. In this case, we had enough left over for me to take a small portion for lunch today and a smaller "Bob" serving (than he had last night) for him for lunch today. (Well, at least he better have it for lunch today, because if he doesn't it's a case of you snooze, you lose, as I'll snag it up for my lunch tomorrow).

Yes, I know, my hubby’s portions are sometimes a little more than what they should be. Hmmm ... I guess that bodes well for my cooking skills.

***********************************

Noodles Carbanaro (My Way)

Half pkg. egg noodles
1 pound bacon
1 cup milk
3/4 pkg cream cheese
2 T. flour
salt
pepper
1 tsp. of Cavender’s Greek Seasoning
2 tsps. Parmesan Herb seasoning (McCormick Perfect Pinch)
1 tsp. garlic powder
Paprika
Shredded Parmesan Cheese
Shredded Romano Cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment